05 January 2011

Im Nothing But Im Not

Recently watched The Chronicles of Narnia latest film. This line from the movie will have me thinking for days. By far the best moment for me:

”What have you done, child? You wished yourself away and with it much more....You doubt your value. Don't run from who you are." -Aslan (The Voyage of the Dawn TreaderSo in my continued thinking I wanted to write this note sort of expounding on the depths of this lesson.

First off, all allegory in these stories are amazing. I will always believe that C.S. Lewis was one of the greatest minds that ever lived. This particular morsel of spiritual lesson just stuck out to me more than the others did.

I was researching some yesterday what I could find in way of different takes on this segment. I ran across something that was a little disturbing. It was a series of "devotions" based on the movie. Each devotion was taken from different dialogues and monologues in the movie, scripture referenced, and then explained into practical application. This particular line I am referencing was among them. Of course, in my humble opinion, I dont see how you could leave it out.

The title of the devotion was what disturbed me a little, and I think for most part it is the grossest misinterpretation of what I believe the author's intent was. The title of the devotion was, "Be Yourself".
My heart began to sink as I can just see this being preached and shared across the youth groups of America. "Be Yourself" is I beleive the most shallow viewpoint one could take, simply because of what it means in the culutre. Tis true, Aslan's line ends with, "Don't run from who you are," but that's really not the thrust of what the character (which apparently is the God-Figure or Christ-Type) is trying to convey. I think the more powerful part of it is wrapped around, "You doubt your value".

Value is the premise of thought here, or at least the platform I wish to discuss. I am a man of relatively low self-esteem. When you couple that with the teaching of scripture, the enemy loves playing mind games on the scripture's though that we are indeed nothing. We are merely a vapor, we can do nothing apart from Him, I die daily, He who finds life must lose himself...these things echo a dangerous reinforcement to one who already struggles with lack of personal value. Take one who feels like nothing, submit him to constant teaching that he is nothing, and what good can possibly come from that. Thank God for proper understanding that holds the rescue.

I can't believe the answer is to just "be yourself". In this case, self is dissapointed. In the movie, the self of Lucy wants to be somebody else. Self is dissallusioned and is guilty of the devalue we speak of. Culturally speaking, being yourself is reduced to a form of rebellion or revolution against the traditions of authority. It's an attitude of imma-be-me, and takes no consideration of others (which I think we can all agree is completely unChrist-like). And no matter how hard you try, you cant convince me the lesson here is to where knee-high striped socks and strange eye makeup despite those who look down on you. If the lesson is to "be yourself", this is misleading and ultimately dangerous. Chiefly, because it's Christless.

So, about value. Denying ourself in the teachings of scripture has nothing to do at all with looking down on self in a depressive state. Losing yourself has nothing to do with running around with no identity, wondering why you even exist or why God even bothered to create you. We can never read scripture through the dangerous lens of low-self esteem. Rather, read it for what it says.

In losing self, we find true self that was designed to wrapped up in Christ. This is not a loss of identity but a discovery of it. Apart from Him we can do nothing, but this also is to read with Him we can do anything. After all, with God all things are possible. This gives us great purpose in our living. We are merely a vapor in time, but this increases our value by means of being very rare and all the more important. My life is limited editon, therefore of utmost value. I die daily, not in a sense of denying peronal imprtance, but in submitting myself to absolute importance. In proper perspective, who I am and what I do, aligned with He who created me can never be accidental or lack value. Yes, apart from Him I'm nothing, but in Him I'm everything. I'm nothing, but I'm not.

What have you done child?" The key word here is child. God says you are my child, what have you done in wishing yourself away. Who are you to doubt your value in the overall picture of life? It is by all means a loving reprimand. And perhaps to you is reading this as it was to me who viewed it. When you wish yourself away or to be somebody else, you wish everything good moment away with every bad. Every encouragement you have ever provided, every smile of yours that made somebody's day, even your very presence at times when you thought it meant nothing goes away with you. With you goes much more.

Don't ever doubt your value! But understand completely that your valuable because your a Child of God. He made no accident...you are no accident, and with you comes great purpose. Don't run from who you are is not to say, "Be Yourself"...rather it is to say, "Don't run from this reality and revelation." And that reality is that you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Believe it, and live like it. You may be nothing, but you're so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment