05 January 2011

Deliverance

Reading Psalm 6 and the aftermath I experienced this morning in devotional reading has me think on this topic of deliverance. This is a term that I have wanted to forget for sometime now, mainly because of the connotation in which it took growing up in the Pentecostal church. It seemed all that one had to do to recive this deliverance is go to an altar, act like an idiot and have other people push you around a little. Now I have to insert here that I realize this I speak of many people hold dear. And if what I reference has merit to you, I mean no offense. But I think with the crass way of putting it, those who choose to read this understand the experience.
If in that instance, or after it, you felt better about your circumstances that was noted as deliverance. And then you would go home and fall and wait again until next Sunday, praying once again the Lord to take your burden away.
Whether or not this experience has been yours, I am quite sure we all share the experience of pain and anguish. Life has a way of doing this to us. It brings circumstances, relational problems, and many things that send a wrecking ball to what otherwise we call our "norm". It brings severe discomfort and and die-hard desire to exit the current state. It brings the atheist to say, "oh, God" and the agnostic to suddenly be sure there is something higher at work. We have all been in that place, and maybe some of us right now. So, in an attempt to bring solace, seek advice from this song of deliverance.

1) Be honest before God (6:1-3).
Lord, Im tired, in every part of my soul I am tired. God knows how you feel, there is no sense hiding it. Many times we are in this place of "our wit's end". We have deep despair and hurt. There is no antecdote to be said, no mantra to be repeated to bring relief. Even the Psalmist says, in paraphrase, "Lord will you even overlook my own shortcomings just long enough to be my strength? (v.1)" He must have hurt. God knows you are too. Just tell Him.

2) Make sure your motives are pure (6:4-5)
Why do you want "delivered"? Why is it necessary for you to leave your current state. Sometimes God has us in a place so that we may call to Him. We are not good at discomfort. We do not do suffering well. So much in fact that we have convinced ourselves that God would never allow it. But it is a recurring theme in scripture of the lives of those who belong to Him. Make sure your cry for deliverance isnt a cry caused by lack of endurance. Verse 4 says "deliver me for the sake of your steadfast love". The only right reason for God to "bring us out" is that so we may be examples of His great power.

3) Know that God will work (6:8-10)
There seems to be a great confidence in God's hearing and response even though he doesn't see it in this instance. Take notice of the element of despair in your life for a moment. Now ask yourself, "have I lost confidence in God to answer?" I know I have. I mean if you can't get something done right (and by right I mean when and how YOU want it) then do it yourself. I am wholly guilty of acting on God's behalf and giving up on God completely. This, above all is what can keep us in undude despair. I referenced Godly despair that is necessary, but surely there is a despair we bring to ourself when we take matters in our own hands. Any prayer of deliverance must be coupled with confidence that God hears and will act.

You know, perhaps this last part of the Psalm even holds the key to what true deliverance is. Maybe its not the absence of circumstances that bring despair, but rather the surety and confidence of God in the midst of those circumstances. There is no doubt life brings different things, but God never changes. I know you have heard this all before, but just as I, maybe your ears need deliverance to hear it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment