01 June 2010

Moments of Prodigality

I really was under the impression for most of my life that my salvation was a one time event. Perhaps I had a lot to learn. Countless times I have read, and been read the parable of the Prodigal Son. Shortly followed by 'Just As I Am', it was always a salvation appeal, and there was great hope inside the heart of us who were "already saved" that someone would respond; maybe it could be that shady character that happened into the sanctuary that given day, or the son or daughter of Sister so-and-so who had been astray in the usage of drugs. Maybe the addict would come, finding in a single moment freedom from all of his or her life-formed habits. We could celebrate together, record their name and information and give our testimony to our friends about that one who was lost and now was found. As I speak so tongue-in-cheek, I should say that I still belive that is the way it can begin for some. I make no mockery of my traditional upbringing. However, I find myself swept away at times into prodigal days and moments, even as a "saved" person. I am still in need of salvation. Such moments of prodigality sweep through most of our lives. I once heard the great teacher Chuck Swindoll say, "It is possible for those of of us who know Jesus to find ourselves behaving as though we never met." Finding ourself in the midst of selfish thought and action, the constant pull into addiction to replacements of Godly intimacy. the temtation to erase the lines of holy standard to justify our transgressions, these are all things I share with my brothers and sisters in the faith. For those who don't struggle, I am not sure how you fit in. And you should stop reading this.So what about such moments? If it's fact that we have them, it's fact that God knows. And if He knows, and He is good, he has provided for each and every circumstance with His grace. Simply put, moments of prodigality require moments of salvation. Everyday and struggle is in need of an altar, that place we go for freedom and cleansing. Like the parable, only unlike it in singular event, we need moments where we snap back into our senses and realize that Fatherly presence and provision, even under rules, standards, and occasional punishment is much better than eating pig slop in what seems to be total liberty. And we need to know, most of all, that it's okay to go back, because our Father awaits.(taken from 'Slice of Infinity' RZIM) Hear the beautiful words of an elementary school teacher:He came to my desk with a quivering lip,the lesson was done."Have you a new sheet for me, dear teacher?I've spoiled this one."I took his sheet, all soiled and blottedand gave him a new one all unspotted.And into his tired heart I cried,"Do better now, my child."I went came to the throne with a trembling heart;the day was done."Have you a new day for me, dear Master?I've spoiled this one."He took my day, all soiled and blottedand gave me a new one all unspotted.And into my tired heart he cried,"Do better now, my child."

No comments:

Post a Comment