01 July 2011

Stalemate: An Allegory

I'm not much of a chess player, but I can play (or at least I know the ins and outs).  I know how the pieces move , how to "castle" in order for a better defense, know some random strategies I suppose, and certainly know the object of the game.  That is enough to keep me involved with most level one chess players.
Few times in my chess experiences have I ever reached a stalemate.  In a more relevant way, a stalemate is best described by using the term "tie".  It is where one player is not necessarily in check (or getting ready to lose) but yet has no legal moves to get out the situation.  This is rare.
Lately, I have sort of been feeling this in my life.  I have used this term in talking to my wife and some of my closer friends (yet I am now putting it out here for the world to see).  Have you ever reached that point in life?  You are not defeated, but yet you feel trapped, like you need to "make a move", but just can't.  If I were a brilliant man, I think I could somehow figure out what got me here.  I want to blame something, or somebody.  That's just easier.  But the point is not necessarily figuring out why you are here, or even how to get out of it.  There is really only one thing you can do when you reach a stalemate, call it for what it is and start another game.
Chances are, it's just simply time to "re-invent".  I use quotations because that't one of those modern terms that is overused in ministry, and while I like to avoid such things, I simply can't think of a better term.  When we reach these stalemates in life, I believe that it is simply God calling us to start afresh.  But here is the catch, when you start again, you cannot use the same strategy, or you will wind up in the same place.  The strategy of the enemy  will be the same, to defeat you.  But you need to take a different approach to life.
This can mean a lot of things to a lot of people.  It may mean addition or elimination of things or people.  It may mean a move of venue.  Truth that cannot be denied is that you are feeling what you are feeling for a reason.  And it will only be by prayerful thinking that you will be led into what can change is necessary.  But whatever it is, remember that a new game is the only response.
In closing understand two very powerful things:

1) A new game requires a different strategy.
Like mentioned above.  The same approach will get you to the same place.  There are some things you have to take into the mew game.  The pieces are the same, the rules are the same, the object is the same, yet, your overall strategy of combinations and your ability to see a different picture has to improve.  You have to be able to remember the former game and learn from those mistakes.  You have to be fully engaged in the new game, completely sober to every move you make and to the moves of your opponent.  A new game has elements of the old one, but it is nonetheless a new game.

2) A new strategy from you requires a new strategy from your opponent.
Like any new game, expect a different approach from your opponent.  His goal is the same, defeat.  But know that he is no more interested in a draw than you are.  Both should crave victory at every turn.  Victory is achieved not in one move, but in many.  You start winning the game with your mindset, and then by individual moves.  Each move builds or sets up the next to form a plan of victory.  Adjustments may have to be made a long the way, nevertheless keep your eye on the prize. But never forget that new games bring new challenges. Be ready for everything the new game entails.

One more thing that it would be senseless not to say.  Like this life we live, we have to approach it with the attitude of victory.  Fear is a crippler in any "game".  If you approach it with an attitude of inferiority, you will lose every time.  The approach must always be "victory is mine".  Carry that into every new start!

No comments:

Post a Comment